Some things stick with you. The things you remember for a long, long time afterward.
Last spring, I was doing a leadership program with horses and a gelding named JetStar taught me a lesson which stuck with me. A long story short, Jetstar bit me. Right in the bum. Hard. Hilarious, right? I remembered it every time I sat down, every time I moved for two months. The bruise was enormous.
This memento was, yes, an injury, but it was also feedback. Horses don’t hold back; they speak their “truth” instantly and powerfully. They have no hidden agenda. This is not always true of your boss!
What Is Feedback?
Feedback is information distilled into insight, which is built upon reactions, responses, results, comments, bits of criticism and advice we receive along the journey of life. It is those bites, but also those nuzzles. For humans, unlike horses, feedback can be difficult to give and is often painful to receive.
This is because it often feels like criticism to us. MRIs show how the most primitive (aka reptilian) parts of our brain views feedback as a threat to our survival. Our lizard brain tries to protect us and maintain our status by convincing us we’re right, even when we’re not.
So why is feedback important? Feedback, even in the form of a booty bite, is a multi-faceted life-giving gift should you chose to embrace it.
• Facet 1: It creates insight into our blind spots.No matter how self-aware, we all have them and they limit our ability to create and sustain enlivening partnerships in today’s integrated transparent world. With JetStar, he was helping me face my “Perform and Please” nature, a habitual way of being that has prevented me from speaking from my heart and being a true natural leader. More on that later.
• Facet 2: It cultivates rich personal, professional and business growth, just like nature. Do you remember Biosphere 2? This research facility in Arizona attempted to recreate biomes and habitats in an enclosed, controlled setting. One of the striking lessons from the experiment had to do with the trees. In the enclosure, trees grew faster than in the wild. They had everything they needed with the “advantage” of eliminated environmental stress. Yet before they could reach maturity, these trees died. Every. Single. One. Before they could fulfill the potential of their fruit-bearing nature, they would collapse. Upon further study, scientists determined that this was caused by the lack of wind. The stress and feedback of wind enables trees to be resilient and strong, to mature and not collapse under their own size. Same goes for people: steady feedback helps us develop mastery as we contribute the “fruits” of our potential to work that matters. Feedback is essential to fulfillment.
(Dear reader, as we explore Leading Naturally, this will be a theme. Nature is powerful, ruthlessly efficient and wildly abundant. Its interactions with us is big on purpose—that way we don’t miss the lesson, as my dad would say. Exhibit A: My aching hindquarters.)
• Facet 3: Accepting feedback deepens personal relationships. When you prove yourself to be impenetrable to feedback, people who work with you know they cannot give you important information or become close with you. This reflects “old world” models of leading by controlling and relying on one-way communication style which undermines great performance. Avoid this if you want optimal human performance and genuine relationships for yourself or others!
How can we make the most out of feedback?
1) Be a receptive container. I ask my clients to “be inside the feedback.” What I mean by this is that for feedback to be the most useful to us, we must get our lens, our viewpoint, out of the way. Being inside the feedback integrates our intuition with the insight. This helps us be responsible for our own growth.
Receptive containers are able to hear another person’s perspective and distill it. Receiving feedback well requires that we develop the ability to question our own thoughts, something our survival brain HATES. It’s uncomfortable to ask the question, “What if something I believe is untrue?” But remember, the more receptive our container, the faster we will grow personally, professionally, and in our business.
As I love to say, the “benevolent universe” is always providing us what we need next to grow into our dreams and intentions. Being a receptive container quickens this process.
2) Set up relationships for candor. It is critical to thoughtfully select relationships in which to build vulnerability. Feedback from those people is going to be like JetStar’s: strong and true. As part of this is you’ll need to assess carefully is this a good source of feedback in this area of my life. Simply put, are they embodying themselves that which I seek? Are they trustworthy in this area of life or business? (more on this in the future).
3) Notice and celebrate the everyday positive feedback. This focus honors our gifts and strengths, which our survival brain often overlooks. These moments of appreciation help us keep momentum in our more challenging areas of development. I notice my dog Sequoia with his head resting on my foot; the message: he’s loyal (and I’m a reliable source of good kibble). My client telling everyone she meets about our work together, telling me I made a difference in her business: my work is valuable. My (frugal) husband buying the best possible sheets and even getting up in the middle of the night to move to the guest bed if he’s snoring; the message:he loves me by helping me get a good night’s sleep. Cultivating receptivity to the positive feedback creates happiness.
Remember, it’s not just people giving you feedback. Everything on earth, in nature, is giving you feedback. From the gravity that “helped” you down the stairs to the chill which the recent rain brought. The world around joins our co-workers and loved ones in responding and interacting with us. The fragrance of your partner’s scarf and the smell of your hiking socks left in the car: both feedback. The moment you breathe in that scent is your moment to relate powerfully to its message, receive insight and choose what you will do with it.
JetStar helped me grow into a more genuine leader. Not only did he give me a big visual, he gave me a reminder every time I sat down for months. Thank you, JetStar.
How will you build receptivity for today’s feedback?
I have to express some thanks to this writer just for bailing me out of this type of scenario. Right after surfing throughout the world-wide-web and meeting recommendations which are not helpful, I thought my entire life was over. Existing without the strategies to the difficulties you have fixed by means of your entire website is a crucial case, as well as the ones that would have adversely damaged my career if I hadn’t encountered your site. Your main competence and kindness in dealing with all the stuff was useful. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t encountered such a solution like this. I can at this time look ahead to my future. Thanks a lot very much for the expert and results-oriented guide. I won’t be reluctant to refer your web sites to any person who needs tips about this matter.
I would like to show some thanks to you for rescuing me from this trouble. Because of scouting throughout the world wide web and meeting opinions that were not helpful, I thought my entire life was over. Being alive devoid of the strategies to the issues you have solved through your good guideline is a crucial case, as well as ones which might have negatively damaged my entire career if I hadn’t discovered your web blog. The competence and kindness in maneuvering a lot of stuff was important. I’m not sure what I would have done if I had not discovered such a solution like this. I am able to at this time relish my future. Thanks for your time so much for your professional and results-oriented guide. I will not hesitate to refer the sites to any individual who will need guide on this issue.
I enjoy you because of each of your effort on this blog. Ellie enjoys carrying out research and it’s easy to see why. Most of us hear all regarding the lively manner you deliver helpful tricks by means of your blog and boost response from other people on that concept while our princess has always been being taught a lot of things. Enjoy the rest of the year. You’re doing a fantastic job.
I have to show my respect for your kindness in support of men and women that require assistance with this particular study. Your special commitment to passing the solution across had been quite effective and has specifically enabled others just like me to attain their endeavors. The insightful suggestions can mean a great deal to me and substantially more to my fellow workers. Thanks a ton; from each one of us.
Thanks a lot for providing individuals with such a brilliant possiblity to read from this blog. It really is very superb and as well , jam-packed with a good time for me personally and my office co-workers to search your site on the least thrice weekly to read the fresh things you have got. And lastly, I am also certainly amazed with all the striking suggestions you give. Selected 3 points in this article are in truth the very best I’ve ever had.
I wish to show my appreciation for your kindness in support of individuals who should have help on in this idea. Your real commitment to getting the message throughout became wonderfully beneficial and have specifically made men and women just like me to reach their pursuits. The warm and friendly guideline entails a lot to me and substantially more to my colleagues. Regards; from all of us.
I wanted to put you this bit of note so as to say thanks once again for your personal marvelous ideas you have contributed above. It’s simply seriously generous of people like you to deliver without restraint just what most people would’ve sold as an e-book to make some dough on their own, principally since you could have done it if you desired. These smart ideas also acted to provide a fantastic way to fully grasp that most people have similar zeal similar to my very own to understand significantly more pertaining to this condition. I am sure there are thousands of more pleasurable occasions up front for individuals who see your website.
I and also my friends have been viewing the best tips on your web page and so then I had a terrible suspicion I had not thanked the web blog owner for those techniques. All of the people happened to be for that reason passionate to learn them and now have undoubtedly been taking pleasure in these things. Thank you for indeed being indeed thoughtful and for picking out some beneficial ideas millions of individuals are really desirous to know about. Our own sincere apologies for not expressing gratitude to you sooner.
I’m commenting to make you be aware of what a incredible experience our child had browsing your webblog. She picked up too many issues, most notably what it’s like to possess an amazing helping mood to get the mediocre ones without problems thoroughly grasp a variety of hard to do issues. You really surpassed visitors’ expectations. Thank you for distributing such interesting, dependable, edifying and even easy tips on that topic to Ethel.
I want to get across my admiration for your kind-heartedness for men and women that must have assistance with this important subject. Your personal commitment to getting the solution along became surprisingly valuable and have regularly made some individuals like me to reach their pursuits. Your entire invaluable information can mean a great deal a person like me and substantially more to my peers. Warm regards; from all of us.
I definitely wanted to post a small note to appreciate you for those nice concepts you are showing on this website. My extensive internet search has at the end been rewarded with incredibly good facts and strategies to exchange with my visitors. I ‘d declare that most of us visitors actually are unequivocally endowed to be in a magnificent community with so many outstanding people with insightful principles. I feel pretty fortunate to have used your weblog and look forward to really more amazing minutes reading here. Thank you again for a lot of things.
I have to convey my passion for your kind-heartedness giving support to men who should have guidance on your niche. Your real commitment to getting the message throughout had been unbelievably insightful and has always enabled others like me to get to their aims. This valuable report implies a great deal a person like me and substantially more to my fellow workers. Regards; from everyone of us.